Interview with M.I.K.E. aka Push ( 30.08.2008 - 23:20 GMT UTC )
Zaneta Soroko: M.I.K.E., I really appreciate the opportunity to have this interview with you. I have followed your work for many years, and I ABSOLUTELY love your style !
1. What can you tell us a bit about your life as you were growing up in Belgium ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: Well, thatís a long story, so itís always good to look up my biography on Mike.be lol. But yeah, when I was a kid, playing football, almost made it to the professionals. Thatís no joke, then started getting interest for music at age 12. Then I was a DJ at a local radio station when I was 15, playing Marss, S Express, Coldcut and Ēthe back in the daysĒ Acid House! Getting nostalgic now... then ages 17, getting my first studio gear, drum computers and some synths. There it was, my first 4 track E.P. on U.S.A. Import records back in 1992 called Vision Act ďA New Sign E.P.Ē
2. You have so many aliases. How did you come up with all of those names ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: When I go in the studio, then it can turn out techno, trance, progressive, whatever, and the baby needs a name. You know thatís just me, the diversity in me. I just like to produce all kind of EDM music. Every project or project I start has itís own identity and sound, so thatís why I come up with those aliases.
3. Which alias do you enjoy producing under the most ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: All of them !!
4. Can you provide us with more information on your new album entitled ďHorizonsĒ released under the alias ďAbsoluteĒ ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: Itís actually a ďBest OfĒ album with some exclusive tracks. I collected the best 8 releases, and 4 new tunes. With Absolute I always tried to have a dreamy sound, and if you listen closely to the older Absolute tracks, it really breathes that dreamy, flyaway atmosphere. Absolute became a follow up to my Plastic Boy alias, but now the Plastic man is back in bizz again, so two for the price of one.
5. What is your personal favorite on the new album ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: I like them all; itís a personal collection. But Absoluteíly does stand out. Love that twirling phase sound on the lead after the break, and itís a strong production as well.
6. What are some of the reasons that you, and your family decided to purchase and additional residence in New York ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: I did not purchase anything yet in New York, but my family lives there, and my wife is a New Yorker. I spend a lot of time in New York, and my kid loves it too, so maybe one day, I might stay for good! News York is just one of those cities that breath so much inspiration, thatís why I love it there! But traveling between Europe and New York is a cool thing to do, it makes you a world citizen, and I love it !!
7. Whose clever idea was it to include a live studio feed of you working in the studio at Selfcast.com ? How often do you expect to be broadcasting live feeds in the future ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: I figured it out myself lol! I think itís a cool medium to come up and closer with your fans and people who just turned into EDM. You only need a good computer, decent screen resolution, a pair of speakers, and jam along! I actually did some test broadcasts back in July, but in September I will try to go weekly. At least once day per week online, so people can see me at work and share what I love.. the passion for electronic music, so keep an eye on my website for updates on that!
8. Are you going to be working on any collaboration with other artists in the near future ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: Haha.. of course. I just finished a new tune with Andrew Bennett under our Friends Connection moniker and soon, me and Armin van Buuren will team up again. A new Active Sight with Fred Baker is in the pipeline too, but not anytime soon due both our busy tour and studio schedules.
9. Being that you already reached the halfway mark to the 100th episode milestone of ďClub Elite SessionsĒ, I wondered if you were planning anything special for the 100th Episode Anniversary ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: There will be, and with a party as well. Iím not going into the footsteps of my buddy Armin van Buuren, but it will be more intimate. Something in Antwerp, but might be in New York or Los Angeles too.
10. Do you have any other closing comments for your fans around the world ?
M.I.K.E. aka Push: Keep it real, keep on supporting your precious EDM scene and see you guys soon in New York city !
Zaneta Soroko: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.
Interview made by Zaneta Soroko aka Euphoria (TranceSound.net Co-Administrator)
M.I.K.E. aka Push official website
M.I.K.E. aka Push @ MySpace
M.I.K.E. aka Push @ Facebook
Club Elite Recordings @ MySpace
Syndromelab @ Selfcast official website